Thursday, September 27, 2012

First day of school

Today is the first day of school for the year. In all honesty, any excitement I had for today and the quarter was based on
1) Having something to do since I have utterly failed at finding someplace to hire me
2) Finally finish my degree that took me 6 years.

Suffice it to say, I dragged myself to campus in a most depressing fashion.

To try to start my first day on a positive note, I hitched a ride with my roommate and we got coffee together. We arrived early which gave us some extra time to just hang out before scurrying off to class. This was awesome and put me in a much better mood than when I woke up.
My first class started at 9 and I walked in quickly noticing the young age of the crowd. I would say that there were maybe 15 or so people including the professors and TA that could legally go to the bars. This class has over 100 people in it, so I felt super old. (For those of you unaware, I am very uncomfortable about my age and the fact that I haven't finished my undergrad yet. Silly as you may find it, I feel as though I stand out. Seriously, I feel like I am fully clothed at a completely nude beach). So I was uncomfortable until the professor started speaking (this man is awesome! Five years ago I took an intro class with him and immediately decided I wanted to double major until the faculty refused to allow it. So now I minor in it instead). This man immediately put a smile on my face and although I still felt a little out of place, I enjoyed my time listening to him.
My next class was a class for my major and I think it should be very interesting since I have already taken a similar one back in Leeds. I am a little concerned about the overlap, but after talking with the professor, I think I will enjoy taking it anyway.
My final class of the day has yet to happen. I have two hours until it starts and am using the time to write this and do some of my course reading. I was hoping to meet some new people today that I could be friends with, but that hasn't really been the case. I met a very nice 70 year old man who is writing a grant to restart the research he was doing here fifteen years ago and then a little freshman who was too scared to actually talk with me after he asked if he could sit at the table I was at. All in all, today has been good and I just hope that it continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment