Sunday, August 19, 2012

I am Going Home?


What do I say about the year? My plane leaves in less than 4 hours for me to go home. It doesn’t seem real. I know people say that all the time, but in this case, it is so true. Actually well, no. I take it back. It feels like I am dehydrated and the sun is intensely  shining on my fragile body and I just had a large coffee. You know what I mean? It sort of feels like you are floating halfway outside your body. The things around you are moving faster than you can and you just try to sort of stay with the crowd as much as possible so you don’t get run over.  It seems like you are in a dream state. I have been in this state on and off for the last week or so. It makes it hard to function. I have been away from home for so long that it sort of seems weird to call it home. For so long, I called Leeds and the UK my home. It feels like I have been here for much longer than a year. Well a little less than a year. Let’s start by putting some numbers to my year.

I have been away from my family for 347 days.
I have been out of the US for 343 days.
I have been to 13 different countries (if you separate Scotland from England)
I have been to over  45 cities


I have seen
§       UK
o      Leeds
o      London
o      Ilkley
o      Manchester
o      Dover
o      Windsor
o      Bath
o      Burmingham
o      Stratford
o      York
§       Scotland
o      Edinburgh
o      Glasgow
o      Isle of Skye
o       
§       Ireland
o      Dublin
o      Kilarney
o      Tralee
o      Dingle
o      Ennis
o      Burren
o      Galway
o      Dingle
o      Aran Islands
§       France
o      Paris
§       Belgium
o      Brussels
§       The Netherlands
o      Amsterdam
§       Germany
o      Bremen
o      Berlin
o      Dusseldorf
§       Greece
o      Athens
o      Nafplio
o      Olympia
o      Patras
§       Italy
o      Ancona
o      Rome
o      Venice
o      Verona
o      Messina
o      Palermo
o      Catania
o      Florence
§       Switzerland
o      Zurich
o      Basel
§       Spain
o      Madrid
o      Seville
o      Barcelona
§       Portugal
o      Lisbon
§       Malta and Gozo

In a year, I have seen a lot, but not nearly as much as I had hoped. Some places were fantastic, other places were eh and there are a few that I don’t need to return to. That is how life is though. Not everything can have a hold on your heart.  People though, people will always have a presence, even the people who probably don’t deserve it. Luckily for me, there were very few duds in the year. I met many amazing people  and a few that I would consider part of my family. These amazing people were there to see me through some of the hard days and nights and they all dealt with my crazy conniptions  and beliefs. Granted I would hope that they all would acknowledge some of the great times too!

I can’t remember if I shared my fears about this trip, but one of them was that I would just float on my own for the year without a tether. Part of me planned to not make lasting friendships with people solely because saying goodbye is too difficult, but I realized that not bonding with these awesome people would be much harder.  I needed them to hold onto so I wouldn’t drown in the ocean of despair. (crap I started mixing metaphors, but whatever! You get it)

My year is a blur of birthdays, mistakes, deaths, crying, laughing, smiling, ridiculous shenanigans, gossip,  yelling, FOMO, adventure, chocolate, fighting,  insecurities, reassurance, and love., but mostly love. I am not talking about  the head over heels, sexual attraction, want to marry sort of love. I mean the warming feeling that you get when someone cares about you and your life and the reciprocation you give to them. A two way street sort of love between friends, but I guess since I share this bond with more than one person maybe I should call it a multitude of streets or maybe a roundabout? I did have a few one way relationships, but at this point they have reached a dead end. Actually no. Not a dead end. I simply stopped mid street. This post certainly is full of a lot of analogies. Sorry about that!

This year has been of loss and gain. I lost a few people; one physically, some emotionally, but I gained more.  I lost part of myself that needed to go and gained something else. I am not sure what exactly I gained, but I know I have changed. I lost a lot of money, but I gained a lot of memories, photos, and experience, which is much more important and profound. 

And with that and the ridiculous length of this post (especially since there are no pictures), I will stop here, but may continue later in another post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment